GRO6 (PP) - Delivering Plymouth's natural network
This policy is part of the Plymouth Plan which was approved by Plymouth City Council Full councillors on 27/02/2017.
The City will ensure that the natural environment is fully considered and embedded in the delivery of the city's vision for growth. The Natural Network will consist of a functional network of green and blue spaces that support a high quality of life for communities as well as providing an attractive environment for investment, space for nature to thrive and increased resilience to the impacts of climate change. The Natural Network includes public open space, allotments, play areas, woodlands, trees, playing pitches, Local Green Spaces, statutory and non-statutory designated sites, Strategic Greenspace Areas, Undeveloped Coast, Strategic Landscape Areas, Protected Landscape Areas, marine areas.
Plymouth’s natural network will be delivered through the following measures:
- Developing a new model for managing natural spaces that enable communities to have more involvement and ownership of their local spaces, and deliver effective partnership working maximise the benefits it brings to health and well being.
- Aiming to ensure that everyone in the city has good access to a high quality natural space within a target distance of their home, in accordance with the following accessibility standards set out in Figure 3.2 of the Joint Local Plan.
- Ensuring our bathing water quality achieves ‘Excellent’ under the new more stringent EU standards and continues to provide a high quality cultural, wildlife and recreational resource for the city. This work will be delivered with the support of South West Water, the Environment Agency, the Marine Management Organisation and other partners.
- Sustainably managing the city’s water environment by adopting a catchment based approach to ensure reductions in flood risk and enhanced water quality, wildlife, amenity value and designated shellfish waters.
- Using planning powers to protect and enhance the network and support the achievement of the accessibility standards.