SO2 (PP) - Delivering a growing city
This policy is part of the Plymouth Plan which was approved by Plymouth City Council Full councillors on 27/02/2017.
To create the conditions for high quality and sustainable growth, which meets the present and future needs of Plymouth residents and businesses and transforms the city into a prosperous place to live, work and visit, and to empower people to equip themselves with the skills and to find the opportunities to take advantage of that prosperity. This will be achieved by:
- Building on our industrial strengths to continue to transform and re-balance the economy, building a strong inward investment and export portfolio with a focus on productivity and higher value, knowledge based industries (including marine/marine technology, advanced manufacturing, creative/digital , and the medical/healthcare sector and high value international tourism), alongside supporting the city’s valued naval/defence presence.
- Capitalising on Plymouth as a 'city of makers', using this wealth to drive the creative economy by retaining more creative graduates and attracting makers on a national scale to locate to Plymouth.
- Managing the city’s growth in a way that is resilient and adaptive to future technological and environmental changes and impacts, and which provides sustainable solutions for development, energy, waste and water catchment management.
- Creating an environment where businesses can thrive and where the aspiration and talent of the city's population is harnessed and new talent, ideas and innovation attracted to the city.
- Developing quality jobs and valuable skills, including supporting those who are underemployed or outside of the labour market, allowing everyone to benefit from increased growth and prosperity.
- Maintaining and enhancing Plymouth’s natural networks, providing the green and blue natural spaces needed to support the social and economic wellbeing of Plymouth as well as safeguarding the natural environment for future generations.
- Delivering a sustainable transport network that supports Plymouth’s long term growth.
- Delivering a positive and sustainable approach to waste management that optimises its economic and social benefits, whilst minimising adverse environmental impacts.
Policies associated with this Strategic Objective