DEV14 - Maintaining a flexible mix of employment sites
A flexible supply of employment land and premises will be maintained to support investment and expansion of existing businesses as well as for the inward investment of high-value businesses, particularly but not exclusively those involved in the marine sector, advanced manufacturing and knowledge based industries. The following provisions will apply:
- Change of use of existing employment sites (including vacant sites whose lawful use is for employment purposes) will only be allowed where the following applies:
- The proposal is specifically provided for by the local plan to deliver wider strategic objectives, or
- There are overriding and demonstrable economic, regeneration and sustainable neighbourhood / communities benefits from doing so, or
- There is no reasonable prospect of a site being used for employment use in the future.
- The following categories of site will be specifically protected:
- Sites that have clear future potential to support the future expansion of existing businesses.
- Employment sites with access to wharves and/or deep water facilities, quays and pontoons, which will be protected for marine related uses appropriate to the site and location.
- Employment sites will be protected from inappropriate neighbouring development that will adversely affect the employment operations taking place on the site.