This policy is currently going through formal consultation. Click here to go to comment.
In the town centres of the Thriving Towns and Villages Policy Area the LPAs will enable and where appropriate support measures to enhance the economy, including:
1. The identification and redevelopment of appropriate town centre sites.
2. Initiatives such as Business Improvement Districts, and Heritage based schemes.
3. Provision of visitor attractions, events, festivals, weekly and permanent markets and other such initiatives.
4. Proposals which create larger floorspaces for comparison shopping uses in the town centre.
5. Uses which increase variety and choice in shopping provision.
6. Business, social and residential uses above ground floor retailing, commercial and eating premises.
7. Improved walking, cycling and public transport links in and around the town centre.
8. Improved sustainable transport facilities, for walking, cycling, public transport and low emission vehicles, including cycle parking and electric vehicle charging points.
9. Uses which boost the evening economy of the town.
Such proposals for development or change of uses in the town centres will be supported in suitable locations and in accordance with the town centre, primary shopping frontages and secondary shopping frontages designations.