PLY10 - Cornwall Street East, City Centre
Land at Cornwall Street East is allocated for retail led mixed use, including multi-storey car parking and housing on upper floors. Provision is made for in the order of 92 homes.
Development should provide for the following:
- High quality design to replace poorer quality buildings and deliver a greater level of activity, floor-space and diversity of land uses.
- Buildings of between 5-6 storeys in height, with 6-8 storeys along Armada Way, to reinforce the primacy of this principal thoroughfare from Plymouth Railway Station to the Hoe.
- An enhanced arrival point to the City Centre, providing for high quality public car parking in a multi-storey format with vehicular access direct from Mayflower Street and seamless pedestrian connections into Cornwall Street.
- An attractive new north / south pedestrian route which links Cornwall Street to Mayflower Street.
- Active ground floor uses on all public frontages with high proportions of clear glazing to the streets.
- New enhanced and redesigned public realm on and around the site, including at Armada Way in accordance with established City Centre public realm design principles and materials pallets.
- Innovative solutions to minimise the visual impact of car parking and maximise secure cycle parking.
- Tree planting on the site’s street frontages where appropriate.