The Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan is now at the public examination stage. Keep up to date with what's happening on our Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan: Examination page.
Land at Cornwall Street East is allocated for retail led mixed use, including multi-storey car parking and housing on upper floors. Provision is made for in the order of 92 homes.
Development should provide for the following:
1. High quality design to replace poorer quality buildings and deliver a greater level of activity, floor-space and diversity of land uses.
2. Buildings of between 5-6 storeys in height (6-8 storeys along Armada Way frontage).
3. An enhanced arrival point to the City Centre, providing for high quality public car parking in a multi-storey format with vehicular access direct from Mayflower Street and seamless pedestrian connections into Cornwall Street.
4. An attractive new north / south pedestrian route which links Cornwall Street to Mayflower Street.
5. Active ground floor uses on all public frontages with high proportions of clear glazing to the streets.
6. New enhanced and redesigned public realm on and around the site, including at Armada Way in accordance with established City Centre public realm design principles and materials pallets.
7. Innovative solutions to minimise the visual impact of car parking and maximise secure cycle parking.
8. Tree planting on the site’s street frontages where appropriate.