PLY21 - Supporting the visitor economy
Support will be given for proposals which protect and deliver growth for Plymouth's visitor economy in its core tourism area. This area includes the waterfront stretching from Sutton Harbour / The Barbican to Royal William Yard, including the Hoe and Millbay as well as the City Centre. Specific provisions are as follows:
- Strategic opportunities for new high quality hotels will be protected, especially on sites which reinforce Plymouth's unique assets such as its waterfront, heritage and culture, including offering views over Plymouth Sound.
- Proposals which deliver visitor accommodation on appropriate sites, including small hotels, bed and breakfast and self-catering accommodation, will be supported.
- Proposals which help enhance Plymouth as a destination for all seasons, including the effective use of the waterfront and the City Centre for events, and which support business tourism and tourist related business development, will be supported.
- Development proposals which result in the loss of important facilities for the visitor economy, including visitor accommodation, will not be permitted unless:
- There are over-riding sustainability and regeneration benefits from the proposal.
- The existing use is demonstrated to be unviable and with no reasonable prospect of becoming viable.