Land at Plymouth Fruit Sales, Sutton Road, Sutton Harbour is allocated for mixed use development, including housing. Other potential uses include small scale retail, offices, hotel, restaurant and leisure related use as part of housing led mix. Provision is made for in the order of 200 homes.
Development should provide for the following:
1. A development which respects the site's heritage assets and context, as informed by a detailed heritage character assessment to be undertaken for the proposal.
2. High quality architecture that responds positively to the site's heritage and
Sutton Harbour's historic character and distinctiveness.
3. Active ground floor frontages to enliven all public streets and spaces - particularly along the site's waterfront and Sutton Road frontages.
4. Opportunity for a high quality tall building on the axis of Barbican Approach and Lockyer's Quay, relating to a major new waterfront public square and acting as a positive, memorable and widely visible landmark for the Sutton
Habour East area, Coxside.
5. Public access to and along the site's waterfront and a new pedestrian route linking from Sutton Road to the quayside.
6. High quality public realm including new quayside public open space and a proportionate contribution to the Sutton Harbour Heritage Trail, public art and heritage interpretation.
7. Innovative car parking solutions to reduce the visual impact on vehicles on the public realm.
8. Safeguarding of the fishing industry use of adjacent wharves and pontoons, taking into account the proximity of the fish quay and market through the design and mix of uses.