The Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan is now at the public examination stage. Keep up to date with what's happening on our Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan: Examination page.
The buildings fronting Old Town Street and Royal Parade (East of Armada Way) should be refurbished sensitively to update and expand the retail spaces and attract new complementary uses to the upper floors. Expansion of existing spaces will be enabled by internal reconfiguration, extension of the buildings to the rear and/or the sensitive inclusion of additional floors.
Development should provide for the following:
1. Recognition of the high heritage and architectural value of the buildings and the protection and enhancement of these in any partial demolitions and external alterations.
2. Possible additional building storeys, up to a maximum building height of eight storeys, where these can be accommodated set-back from the building line and subordinate in appearance to the main elevation.
3. Respect for the strong building lines on Old Town Street, New George Street, Armada Way and Royal Parade.
4. Enhancement of shopfronts and existing canopies to better reflect the qualities of the upper floors.
5. Active ground floor frontage to all public streets and spaces including Bedford
6. Servicing to the rear of the buildings with access controlled to out-of-hours.