SO3 (PP) - Delivering the international city
This policy is part of the Plymouth Plan which was approved by Plymouth City Council Full councillors on 27/02/2017.
To enhance Plymouth's profile as an international city where the city projects itself to people who might invest, study or visit the city; to encourage and support Plymouth’s businesses to engage in trading terms in an increasingly global market place; and to ensure the city fulfils its potential as a distinctive, dynamic, cultural centre of international renown. This will be achieved by:
- Raising the profile of Plymouth internationally through it's Britain’s Ocean City brand and through using Mayflower 400 in 2020 as a key catalyst and driver.
- Promoting Plymouth as an internationally competitive tourist destination, providing an accessible and well connected visitor experience which capitalises on the city's world class waterfront and maritime heritage and delivers a long standing economic legacy for the city.
- Supporting the growth of internationally significant businesses, attracting new investment into the city and encouraging all businesses to expand trading in the global market place.
- Establishing Plymouth as a distinctive, vibrant, cultural city known on the international stage for its rich heritage, creative industries and unparallelled natural setting, having an equally strong appeal for residents, visitors and investors.
- Providing innovative, high quality architectural development to set the city apart and create an attractive, forward looking environment.
- Providing a full range of hotel and visitor accommodation, including new high quality provision, to ensure that there is adequate accommodation capacity for all visitors.
- Recognising Plymouth internationally as a leading green city.
- Further developing our universities, research institutions and knowledge based industries which are widely known for their innovation and world class assets.
- Delivering a strong, diverse and dynamic city that welcomes new residents, students and visitors and that celebrates cultural diversity.
Policies associated with this Strategic Objective