INT5 (PP) - Celebrating Plymouth's sporting excellence
This policy is part of the Plymouth Plan which was approved by Plymouth City Council Full councillors on 27/02/2017.
The City will promote and celebrate Plymouth's reputation for sporting success and its provision of first class sports facilities by:
- Establishing Plymouth as a nationally and internationally recognised venue for sporting events, particularly in aquatic/water sports and mass participation outdoor sports.
- Developing an international major events calendar to raise the profile of Plymouth as a leading international sports destination.
- Seeking opportunities to celebrate the successes of the city’s sport’s clubs and athletes, and assisting them to expand and improve their facilities and performance.
- Recognising and supporting the work and achievements of locally led sports clubs and the positive impact they have on communities.
- Working with partners to provide swimming programmes for schools so that as many primary aged children learn to swim as possible.
- Working with Plymouth Marjon University and Plymouth University to raise the profile of their sports specialisms, particularly the work with elite athletes.