The Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan is now at the public examination stage. Keep up to date with what's happening on our Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan: Examination page.
The plan seeks to enhance to enhance the vibrancy and sustainability of Tavistock. This will include:
1. Providing for mixed use development to help meet local housing need and increase employment opportunities to support the long term resilience of the town.
2. Maintaining and improving key road links between Tavistock and Plymouth.
3. Reinstating the former rail link between Tavistock and Bere Alston, alongside improvements to bus services, to provide a high quality sustainable transport alternative for journeys into and from Plymouth.
4. Delivering improvements to secondary school facilities in Tavistock.
5. The delivery of a new primary school in the west of the town.
6. Having regard to the impact of development on the Tamar Valley AONB, Dartmoor National Park, World Heritage Site and areas of conservation and archaeological importance.
7. Protecting, enhancing and promoting the heritage of the town, particularly the World Heritage Site.
8. Delivering an extra care facility.
9. Ensuring that all development, singularly or cumulatively, will not negatively impact on the ability of the relevant authorities to improve air quality within the Dolvin Road AQMA.
10. Working with relevant authorities to look for appropriate solutions to manage traffic flow in and around the town.