The Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan is now at the public examination stage. Keep up to date with what's happening on our Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan: Examination page.
Land at Drakes Island is allocated for heritage-led regeneration compatible with the natural and built heritage of the site, including the provision of a new hotel and associated visitor facilities and marine/natural environment-related research and development.
Development should provide for the following:
1. Ensure no significant impact on the European Marine Site (EMS) through the provision of on site and off site mitigation measures designed to protect the EMS interest features and which is supported by a robust Habitats Regulation Assessment.
2. A development which respects the site's heritage assets and context, as informed by a detailed heritage character assessment to be undertaken for the proposal.
3. Beneficial renovation of the scheduled ancient monuments and listed buildings.
4. Safeguarding and enhancement of the island's features of historic, architectural and nature conservation interest.
5. Managed public access together with the provision of historic and natural environment interpretation and a public heritage trail.