SP4 - Spatial priorities for development in Okehampton
The plan seeks to enhance the vibrancy and sustainability of Okehampton. This will include:
- Providing for mixed use development to help meet local housing need and increase employment opportunities to support the long term resilience of the town.
- Fully recognising the strategic location of Okehampton for employment growth.
- Maximising the potential of the A30, and identifying opportunities to invest in rail and bus connections to Exeter.
- Enhancing the historic character and vitality of the town.
- Using opportunities to build community infrastructure related to new housing developments.
- Maintaining and enhancing strong physical and visual connections between the town and the surrounding countryside, including Dartmoor National Park.
- The delivery of a new primary school in the east of the town and the relocation of the post 16 provision at Okehampton College, and the expansion of existing schools in the town.
- Ensuring that all development, singularly or cumulatively, will not negatively impact on the ability of the relevant authorities to improve air quality within the town centre.
- Working with relevant authorities to look for appropriate solutions to manage traffic flow in and around the town, including exploring opportunities to deliver a town centre access road, and delivery of a link road between Exeter Road and Crediton Road.
- Ensuring appropriate infrastructure is delivered alongside new development.
- Ensuring that development on the edges of the town is designed sensitively to respond to the changing character from urban to rural.