SPT1 - Delivering sustainable development
The LPAs will support growth and change that delivers a more sustainable future for Plymouth and South West Devon. Development and change will be planned for and managed in accordance with the following principles of sustainable development:
- A sustainable economy where:
- Opportunities for business growth are both encouraged and supported.
- Environmentally conscious business development takes place.
- Strategically important economic assets are protected for the purpose of economic activity.
- A low carbon economy is promoted.
- A sustainable society where:
- Neighbourhoods and communities have a mix of local services and community assets, and accessible greenspace, that meet the needs of local people.
- Sustainable and health promoting transport options are available to access local education, services and jobs.
- Important cultural and heritage assets are protected for the benefit of current and future generations.
- Resilient communities and developments are delivered, which are able to accommodate the impacts of climate change and do not cause detrimental impacts to other communities and developments, for example through increasing flood risk.
- Demand for energy is reduced and opportunities for the use of renewable energy increased.
- Equality of opportunities, freedom from discrimination and fair access to facilities and services are provided for all.
- A sustainable environment where:
- The effective use of land is made for development through optimising reuse of previously developed sites, therefore reducing the need for greenfield development, protecting natural assets and creating opportunities for viable low carbon energy schemes.
- Overall gains in biodiversity are achieved by protecting and enhancing species, habitats and geological sites.
- Pollution and adverse environmental impacts of development are minimised and effectively mitigated where unavoidable.
- The best and most versatile agricultural land is protected for agricultural use.
- Local distinctiveness and sense of place is respected, maintained and strengthened through high standards of design.