SO1 - Delivering the spatial strategy
To meet the needs of Plymouth and South West Devon for new homes, jobs and services through an integrated approach to the strategic planning of the Plan Area as part of the wider region which:
- Maximises growth at Plymouth, recognising its position as the most sustainable location for major development, reinforcing its position as one the main centres of growth in the South West and acknowledging the need to prioritise the use of brownfield sites and regeneration.
- Gives priority to delivering major growth in Plymouth's primary economic nodes of the city centre/waterfront and Derriford/Northern Corridor, as well as the Eastern Corridor, in order to drive a step change in the economy and housing delivery and to focus growth on accessible transport corridors where genuine sustainable transport choices can be provided to support growth.
- Focuses growth in the Thriving Towns and Villages Policy Area on the six main towns - Dartmouth, Ivybridge, Kingsbridge, Tavistock, Totnes and Okehampton - reinforcing the role of these towns as sustainable service centres serving wide rural hinterlands, providing a range of facilities and services, and enabling them to meet the needs of residents.
- Provides for levels of development in the towns and larger rural villages sufficient to enable them to continue as important local service centres for the surrounding areas.
- Supports new homes and jobs by delivering the infrastructure needed to provide for strong strategic connectivity to the rest of the country and to ensure that local communities have the capacity to support new development.
- Minimises development in sensitive locations where the high quality natural environments could be harmed, and positively protects, conserves, enhances and celebrates the Plan Area's high quality natural and historic environments.
Policies associated with this Strategic Objective