SPT2 - Sustainable linked neighbourhoods and sustainable rural communities
The Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) will apply the following principles of sustainable linked neighbourhoods and sustainable rural communities to guide how development and growth takes place in the Plan Area. Development should support the overall spatial strategy through the creation of neighbourhoods and communities which:
- Have reasonable access to a vibrant mixed use centre, which meets daily community needs for local services such as neighbourhood shops, health and wellbeing services and community facilities, and includes where appropriate dual uses of facilities in community hubs.
- Provide for higher density living in the areas that are best connected to sustainable transport, services and amenities, as well as appropriate opportunities for home working, reducing the need to travel.
- Have high levels of digital connectivity, supporting local communities and businesses and enabling data to be open, shared and used to better understand the area.
- Have a good balance of housing types and tenures to support a range of household sizes, ages and incomes to meet identified housing needs.
- Promote resilience to future change by ensuring a well balanced demographic profile with equal access to housing and services.
- Are well served by public transport, walking and cycling opportunities.
- Have a safe, accessible, healthy and wildlife-rich local environment, with well designed public and natural spaces that are family friendly and welcoming to all.
- Have services and facilities that promote equality and inclusion and that provide for all sectors of the local population.
- Have the appropriate level of facilities to meet the identified needs of the local community, including provision of education and training opportunities, employment uses, health care, arts, culture, community facilities, open space, sport and recreation, and places of worship.
- Provide a positive sense of place and identity, including through the recognition of good quality design, unique character, the role of culture, and the protection and enhancement of the natural and historic environment.
- Explore opportunities for the use of renewable energy including community energy schemes where appropriate and reduce the use of energy through design and energy efficiency.
- Provide positive outcomes in relation to the characteristics, aspirations and measurable standards set out through any supplementary planning document linked to this plan.